2 Cups rice
Carrot 1/4 cup
Mushroom 1/4 cup
Broccoli 1/4 cup
Cauliflower 1/4 cup
Green peas 1/4 cup
Potatoes 1/4 cup
1 cup onion
1 tsp asafoetida
1-2 small cardamom
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 big tsp ghee
1 big cinnamon stick
5-6 black peppercorns
Red chili powder to taste
Salt to taste
2 tsp Coriander powder
1 garam masala
1 big tsp haldi powder
1.5 cup curd
Sprigs of mint leaves for garnishing
- Wash the rice well and soak them in the water while you do the other preparation of the biryani. You can skip this point but I generally do it and in the meantime, I chop veggies and do other basic preparation.
- Chop the veggies of your choice. I used carrots, mushroom, broccoli, potato, green peas. You can add whatever is available as per your taste and choice.
- Heat a pressure cooker and add ghee generously, then add bayleaf, cardamom, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds, cloves, black peppercorns and keep the gas on the slow flame so that it does not burn.
- Now add all the vegetables and mix well. This will be our first layer of biryani.
- Take 1.5 cups curd, add ginger garlic paste (I use fresh grated garlic and ginger instead of paste), add haldi powder, red chili powder, dhania powder, garam masala and mix well. Now add this mixture to the veggies. This makes the second layer of the biryani.
- The third layer would be rice. So, drain the rice and spread it over the curd layer. Remember not to mix all these layers while cooking.
- Now the last and fourth layer will be of sauted onions. Saute onions in a pan separately till golden brown and spread them generously over the rice layer. (Onions can be added in the beginning also, after putting masale and before veggies, you can saute in the same cooker, then add veggies and all🙂)
- Now add water and salt to taste.
- Lastly, sprinkle some mint leaves and give 3-4 whistles.
- Let it cook in the cooker till the pressure is released.
- Serve it hot with a dollop of ghee with raita or buttermilk (chaach), papad and pickle.
- Drool over its heavenly aroma and enjoy it.
Do try this One-pot instant aromatic Biryani recipe and let me know your experience.
Until next time 🙂